Monday 28 February 2011

Death Cab For Cutie 'Transatlanticism' (2003)

Imbued with a gorgeous sense of longing, this is Death Cab For Cutie just about at the peak of their powers. Building on their particular brand of bittersweet indie pop, by this album they were able to deliver widescreen epics like this.

Opening with plaintive piano chords and gentle vocals, it's a hymn to the pain of separation and the joy and anticipation of being reunited. The song builds steadily, on crisply pounding drums and the most poised and perfectly spare guitar, before spiralling through the repeated "I need you so much closer" refrain, creating an irresistible wave of optimism and hope for reconciliation.

A beautiful song that means a lot to me, especially the gorgeous string quartet version that the Celebration String Quartet performed at my wedding. Now, I wish I had an mp3 of that version.



No comments:

Post a Comment