Friday 8 July 2011

The Woodentops 'Love Train' (Rough Trade, 1986)

The Woodentops Giant Rough Trade Love Train 1986 mp3 download
Clattering, insistent stuff from one of the great under-rated bands.

Sadly, I didn't pay much attention to The Woodentops at the time, despite being introduced to this wonderful track by a freebie 7" with (long-defunct) music weekly Sounds at the time. I was young, I didn't know any better. That's my excuse.

How could I have been so stupid and not built up a collection of the band's incredible fusion of rock and dance influences? It's hard to fathom.

However, The Woodentops are still knocking around today, supporting Belle and Sebastian at the Roundhouse back in May, and still releasing music.

The consequence of my ignorance is that I have only recently picked up a (vinyl) copy of their excellent 'Giant' album and reacquainted myself with 'Love Train'.

Opening with surf-y, twanging guitar, it settles into a breakneck rockabilly groove, Rolo singing with passion and soul, invoking us to make like The O'Jays and get in rhythm with the Love Train and frug along to the cowbell-enhanced groove.

Download The Woodentops 'Love Train' (mp3) (Mediafire)

No comments:

Post a Comment