Wednesday 22 February 2012

The Durutti Column - Arpeggiator (Factory, 1987)

Filmic, epic beauty from 1987 Durutti Column album.

I think it was actually the sleeve - which is truly beautiful - and the label that persuaded me to buy this album. My awe of Factory told me that I should probably like The Durutti Column but it was a long time before I tried some.

'Arpeggiator' was the first thing I heard - the opening track of the album - a Windham Hill ambience drifting across the urgent, staccato drum machine and, of course, guitar arpeggios.

Poised and correct for the most part, cello cutting an austere shape across the track, it builds until a distorted, disruptive bass-y guitar comes in, tripping off skysoaring guitar.

Beautiful like a desolate moor in the snow.

Download The Durutti Column 'Arpeggiator' (Factory, alternative, Durutti Column mp3) (Rapidshare)

No comments:

Post a Comment