Sunday 19 February 2012

Prefab Sprout mp3 - Donna Summer (Live 1980)

indie mp3, Prefab Sprout mp3, Donna Summer, Live, 1980, Kitchenware, Post-Punk, rare
Fascinating missive from Prefab Sprout's post-punk period. Yes, really.

The version of 'Donna Summer' that was released on the b-side of 'When Love Breaks Down' in 1984 is a sultry, subtle synth-led thing. It's somehow redolent of faded glamour and reeks of showbiz nostagia. I love it and was going post that today but found this version that I'd forgotten about whilst rootling through my Prefab Sprout mp3s.

It was something of a surprise to revisit this Post-Punky early version and hear Paddy McAloon yelp "What's my name? What's my name? What's my name?!"

Download Prefab Sprout 'Donna Summer (Live 1980)' (post-punk, indie, 1980) (Box)

2 comments:

  1. And if you want to know what they looked like on stage singing that, there's a photo at

    http://psgigs.wikispaces.com/Domefest1980

    That being the actual gig the 1980 recording comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that - really interesting bit of history. Were all four songs done in the edgy post-punk style?

    ReplyDelete