Saturday 4 June 2011

Papa M 'Arundel' (Drag City/Domino, 1999) (mp3)

It's usually the case that music sounds better loud, cranked up so the frequencies can breathe. I don't think I've ever found myself listening to a song and suddenly thought, "turn this down, so I can really hear it."

That would be daft. Louder = more = better.

The first time I heard 'Live From A Shark's Cage' by Papa M (aka Aerial M aka M aka post-rock's go-to guitarist David Pajo, formerly of Slint) was early on a Sunday morning a few years ago. I was staying over with friends and, on waking early, I went downstairs and scouted the CD rack for something to listen to. Obviously, as it was early it was only proper to put it on at a low volume.

In the quiet of the house, with just a copy of Sound On Sound for company, Pajo's guitar waves sounded spellbinding, punch-you-in-the-face awesome. It's so hushed and of such minimal instrumentation that it draws you in to listen closer.

This track in particular - 'Arundel' which opens the album in shorter form too - just flows out of the speakers, overtones entwining and flying free.

It's pretty much solo guitar recorded in one take as far as I can tell, played in a nice, church-y room. It's a steady progression that rises to a peak, balancing moodiness with optimism.

Just beautiful.

Download Papa M 'Arundel' (mp3) (Mediafire)

Check out David Pajo's official site for more on his extensive discography.

No comments:

Post a Comment